1/2/10

Erec Rex: The Dragon's Eye by Kaza Kingsley

TITLE: EREC REX: THE DRAGON'S EYE
AUTHOR: KAZA KINGSLEY
GENRE: YOUNG ADULT FANTASY
RATING: 5 STARS


This book was an extremely fun read! I was intrigued at page 1 and hooked by page 50. It's the first in a series that I could easily see becoming as popular as Harry Potter. It’s written as a pre-teens fantasy, but will appeal to readers of all ages. This book follows the adventures of Erec Rex as he searches for his mom and finds himself thrust into a world that he never imagined existed. He explores new lands, meets new people and tries to figure out where he and his mother fit into this bizarre world.

Kingsley did a fantastic job of creating a fun, intriguing world with great characters that you could easily identify with. I loved how she took ordinary, every day things and twisted them up. For example, instead of just using the common name for a fast food place, she called them fastaurants. Just simple things like that added to the feel of the story. Kingsley did a great job of creating suspense, mystery and quite a lot of fun. There were times that I found myself laughing aloud, including a scene with a suit of armor that sent me into a flashback of the days when I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail over and over again. This first book left quite a lot of mysteries and questions unanswered and I can’t wait to pick up the next novel to see what is revealed and to experience more of this great adventure.

I highly recommend this book to everyone that enjoys a great fantasy. And if you personally don’t like fantasy, but you have any kids in your life, you should definitely pick this up for them. It’ll be a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment