1/17/10

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

TITLE: WICKED LOVELY
AUTHOR: MELISSA MARR
GENRE: YOUNG ADULT FANTASY
RATING: 4 STARS

Aislinn is one of the very rare humans that can see faeries. She's always learned that that world is dark and brutal, and it would be extremely dangerous if any faeries were to ever learn that she can see them. Aislinn has grown up constantly being reminded of "the rules". The top three being, #3 Don't stare at invisible faeries, #2 Don't talk to invisible faeries, and most important #1 Don't EVER attract the attention of faeries. But what should Aislinn do when she finds that she's somehow attracted the attention of not just one faerie, but seemingly all of them.

This is a really great young adult urban fantasy. It does have a darker edge to it, but that's one of the things that I found extremely intriguing. I loved how unique this book was. First off, you have a "leading man" that is very atypical. He has bars in his eyebrows, a ring in his lower lip, wears black fingernail polish, and lives in a couple of renovated train cars. Definitely not your typical protagonist. Also, as I started reading this novel, I was sure that I knew how it was all going to end. After you read as many books as I have in this genre, you tend to see patterns. So I was delightfully surprised when the book went into a completely different direction from what I had assumed. Very refreshing change!

This is a book that I strongly recommend to fans of urban fantasy. Also, as a side note. I know that you should never judge a book by it's cover, but I just have to say that I absolutely love the cover of this book, as well as the later books in the series. I've posted a picture of it on the left side of my blog, but it just can't do the cover justice. If you are at a book store, you should check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment